Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mizunderstood


She looks at me adoringly, big brown eyes seeming to wish to say so much.  When she first arrived she told us her story:

My name is Bella and I have been here and there, had one family and then another.  Not too sure why they couldn’t keep me, because I really did love them so.  I was loyal, a good girl, protective, especially of the children.  I like kids.  They don’t scare me like the big humans do.  I can’t tell you why I’m so afraid, but I am, because I've been here and I've been there and now I’m just elsewhere.

We did our best to let her know she’d come to a safe place.  It was a long haul though of convincing this one-year-old pup.  She was anxious as could be, scared, really, like anyone else would be after going from home to home in such a short span of her life.  This was one reason her previous owner didn’t want to take her to a shelter, Bella’s fear could have readily been misunderstood.  Combine that with a little pit mix in her genes and the system, we’ll call it, might have necessarily had to say “not adoptable.”  She growls at strangers, even barked and growled at C when she greeted her at the car.  She’s food aggressive, toy possessive, and overall just wouldn’t have passed the adoptability test.

Uncle Ru & Bell Summer 2011
In time she found she at least liked us and Uncle Rudy approved her for the pack.  So that was all good, but still with strangers so terribly nervous.  No way could we take this girl to an adoption event.  For a while the question was: what to do with Bella?  As a rescue part of our job is the placement of animals, finding a home, a family, and we felt Bella deserved and would love to have her own family.  How do you take a nervous girl, who appears aggressive and find her a suitable family?  Was it even possible?

Nap time with "12"
At last help arrived, Debra Moody, Faithful Friends Dog Training, known around here by the humans as Deb, as for the dogs, they just call her the Treat Lady!  Deb had called us out of blue, offering her services.  Wow!!!  We needed it, especially with Bella.  Although a sweet girl with us girls, Bella’s anxiety and fears needed to be dealt with.  

I’d started taking her to work, thinking going out meeting people and seeing things would be good for her, but she’d bark and growl at clients and try to hide under my seat in the car, not good when driving!

Bell & Tigs Super Bowl Sunday 2012 
Deb began working with Bella, one on one, and most importantly showing us how to curb that anxiety that would just overcome her.  Sometimes it takes time, but we’ve seen miracles happen.  The dog that would jump crazily at the windows, barking and screaming at whatever activity was outside, now possesses a certain calm.  The girl who would bark and growl at strangers now waits for assurances.  

The food possessive pooch still eats alone, but can take treats with her other friends around, and the toy defender now surrenders for her pal Tigger.  

She’s a smart girl, learns quickly from Deb, and always wishes to please.  Her progress has really been amazing.  We can’t thank Deb Moody enough and could not be more proud of Bell.  Rasta’s Rescue Ranch was her third
chance and with time and patience she’s shown that given love, attention, affection, and a little extra effort she was just misunderstood.
Bella December 2011


As for being adopted, well, the consensus is, I’ve been adopted. 








*When in doubt consult a dog trainer, especially with a rescue dog.

**The title is based on Pink’s album.  If I could make a video for Bell, I’d use that song.

No comments:

Post a Comment